Considering I’m on a month-long get healthy kick, I haven’t felt very well since starting on August 1.
I was down for the count on day 2 with pain that I call withdrawal. Headache and low energy was surely due to lesser amounts of sugar and a ban from caffeine.
I have gone on and off caffeine for a year now but mostly; I have been caffeine-free. During the last week of July, when I knew another restriction period was coming up, I wasn’t as strict with it and consumed several cups of caffeinated coffee. I didn’t think my body would become addicted so fast, but it did. At least this time my headaches only lasted a day compared to up to 3 days in the past. Caffeine is one potent drug! I even had to cancel a training session because I was in too much pain to perform.
Just when I settled into my newest regime of waking at 6:30am to meditate followed by 20-30 minutes of exercise, 6 year-old Master T got sick. He’s now on his 5th day off school but I contracted his illness on his 3rd day off. By his 4th day off, we all had it.
So, yesterday was a family stay at home, in bed day. All of us were unfit to be in public and Mr M had to have a day off work.
I must say, it wasn’t bad at all. Lazing in bed watching movies and the Olympics, napping on and off and having lots of extra cuddles is nothing to complain about. Mr M works 7 days a week most weeks so it’s not very often that a day in bed is possible. And how many couples with child (ren) would put everything else aside to spend 85% of the day in bed together anyway?
So next time the whole family is sick, why not take the opportunity to snuggle down to rest and re-connect. We may not be 100% better today but we are on the mend with a smile!
Now, it’s nap time again.
Ways to Wellness for the Unwell
- Drink plenty lemon and honey drinks. Add 1-2 TBSP fresh lemon juice to a cup of boiling water. Stir in honey. Any measurements will do, it just depends on how tart/sweet you like it. Drink hot.
- Drink more. Plenty of water and fresh juices (if you have a juicer) are needed.
- Rest. Stay in bed. Be lazy. It’s vital.
- Sleep. Take Panadol/Tylenol if you need it to relieve body aches and get some shut-eye.
- Eat. Feed a cold, starve a fever. Light meals like poached eggs on toast and homemade chicken soup/broth are age-old meals for the unwell. Fasting Restrict or limit all dairy if mucous is a problem.
- Go to the toilet. If you are not using the toilet several times a day, you are not drinking enough. You want to release the unwanted toxins from your body.
- Supplement. Of course, vitamins and minerals are best found in the foods we eat but it doesn’t hurt to top up with a multi-vitamin or a daily vitamin C.
- Make and take. Apple cider vinegar is an all around daily tonic. Mix half a cup to half a cup of liquid honey to make a natural remedy for many ailments. Take 1 tsp 3 times daily.
- Think positive thoughts! I am well. I feel great. I am healthy.
- Hugs and smiles. It works for me!!!